Paramotor Coverage Information

1.  Who can get coverage?  Owners of Powered Paragliders and Paragliders in the 48 contiguous United States, the District of Columbia and the Provinces of Canada.

2.  What property can be covered?  The powered paraglider, un-powered paraglider, airframes, wing/sail/parachute, secondary parachutes, flotation gear, accessories, helmets, flight suits, avionics/radios/nav equipment and anything else that is part of your “equipment.”         

3.  What losses are covered by the policy?  Only physical damage to the items listed on the policy.  THIS IS NOT LIABILITY COVERAGE.  Here is what the policy says.  Please read it: 

    • Loss caused by any external cause, except as otherwise excluded in paragraph IV.
    • This policy does not insure against loss which is caused by, or arises in or from any of the following, whether or not there are any other contributing causes which would otherwise be covered by this policy:
      • Wear and tear, inherent vice, latent defect, gradual deterioration, rust, corrosion, insects, vermin, dampness of atmosphere, humidity, freezing or extremes of temperature, mechanical breakdown;
      • Delay, loss of market, loss of market value, loss of use, interruption of business, any consequential loss beyond the direct physical loss to the covered property;
      • Criminal acts, infidelity or dishonesty by you, your authorized representatives or any person or persons in your employ or service, or their agents, whether or not such act or acts occurred during the regular hours of employment or service, or any person or persons to whom you or your authorized representatives,including employees and servants, entrusts the property. This exclusion shall not apply to a carrier for hire;
      • Theft while the covered property is contained in or on an unattended vehicle unless the vehicle shall be equipped with entirely enclosed bodies of good construction and completely locked with a key or combination lock and there is visible evidence of violent forcible entry into the vehicle.
      • Earthquake, volcanic eruption, landslide, or other earth movement; 
      • Strikes, lockouts, labor disturbances, riots, civil commotions or the acts of any person or persons taking part in any such occurrence or disorder;
      • Water damage caused by, contributed to or aggravated by any of the following:
        • Flood, surface water, rising waters, waves, tides or tidal waves, storm surge, overflow of any body of water or their spray, all whether driven by rain or not;
        • Mudslide or mudflow
        • Water which backs up from any sewer or drain; or Water that seeps, leaks or flows from below the surface of the ground;
      • Hostile or warlike action in time of peace or war, including action in hindering, combating or defending against an actual, impending or expected attack:
        • by any government or sovereign power (de jure or de facto), or by any authority maintaining or using military, naval or air forces; or
        • by military, naval or air forces; or
        • by an agent of any such government, power, authority or forces
      • Use of any weapon of war employing atomic fission or radioactive force whether in time of peace or war;
      • Insurrection, rebellion, revolution, civil war, usurped power, or action taken by governmental authority in hindering, combating or defending against such an occurrence, seizure or destruction under quarantine or customs regulation, confiscation by order of any government or public authority, or risks of contraband or illegal transportation or trade;
      • Nuclear reaction or nuclear radiation or radioactive contamination, all whether controlled or uncontrolled, and whether such loss be direct or indirect, proximate or remote, or be in whole or in part caused by, contributed to, or aggravated by the peril(s) insured against in this policy; however, subject to the foregoing and all provisions of this policy, direct loss by fire resulting from nuclear reaction or nuclear radiation or radioactive contamination is insured against by this policy.
      • Mechanical breakdown or loss arising from electrical injury or disturbance to electrical appliances or devices (including wiring) caused by electrical currents artificially generated unless fire ensues, in which case we will pay only for the ensuing loss.
      • Leakage, marring, denting or scratching, unless directly caused by fire, lightning, windstorm, cyclone, tornado, collision, upset or overturn of a transporting conveyance.
      • Any process or actual work upon the covered property unless fire or explosion ensues and then only for loss caused by such ensuing fire or explosion
      • Unexplained loss, mysterious disappearance or any loss where there is no physical explanation of what happened to the covered property, or shortage disclosed upon taking regular and systematic inventory;
      • Release or discharge or dispersal of toxic or hazardous substances, contaminants or pollutants, including the cost to remove, dispose, decontaminate or replace covered property which has been or may be contaminated by toxic or hazardous substances, contaminants or pollutants, whether or not required by law or civil authority to be restored, disposed of or decontaminated.
      • Organic pathogen, meaning any organic irritant or contaminant, including but not limited to fungus, bacteria, virus, or other microorganism of any type including but not limited to their byproducts such as spores or mycotoxin, or any hazardous substances as classified by the EPA.

Contact us if you need clarification.

4.  How much is the deductible?  $1,000 per occurrence.

5.  How much does this cost?  Usually 2.26% of the insured amount but with a $500.00 per policy minimum premium (per year) – This is an annual policy. 

6.  Any additional fees?  Yes.  We are required to pay Surplus Lines Taxes and Fees according to the laws of each State, so the fees do vary between the States.  They average around $180.

7.  Show a cost example:  State of Ohio, $14,000 total coverage, maximum limit for any one item $8,500, $500.00 per year (minimum premium) plus $145.00 policy fee and $25.00 Surplus Lines tax = $670.00 total premium.

8.  When does the premium go over $500.00?  When the total insured amount is greater than $22,100.

9.  How do I apply to get a quote? 

  • A.  Best way – go to our website:  On the home page is a tab named “PARAMOTORS.”  Go there and complete the application.  When you hit send, it comes direct to the agent.  I take it from there and email (or call) you the “proposal.” 
  • B.  Next best way – email and ask for an application.  I will send it to you, you complete it and email it back.  I take it from there.  I will send your proposal to you the same way that you send the application to me.

10.  Then what must I do to put coverage in force?  Put the date that you want coverage to start on the proposal.  Sign where indicated.  Pay the premium in full.  It will be listed on the proposal.

11.  How can I pay?  Credit/debit card or electronic funds transfer from your checking account.  We attach a link to our “ePayPolicy” payment system.  It’s pretty easy.

 12.  Does this coverage provide any liability protection?  NO.  The USPPA and the USUA associations have a link on their websites to First Flight Insurance Group who offers “3rd party liability” coverage.

13.  What if I have more questions?  Email me at or give me a call at my office – 559-323-0333 (Clovis, CA – Pacific Time!